Friday, July 25, 2014

Progress

Just returned from a camping vacation to Mt Rushmore. Saw Grand Tetons, Jellystone, Mt. Rushmore, and Arches national parks, stayed with old friends in Torrington, Wyoming, and generally had a great time with Carlos, Bubbles, and CKTF. Was very eager to check out the girls upon our return. They have been hard at work, sealing everything with loads of propolis, pulling comb in my second deep box, and filling it with honey.  There was some weird burr comb in between the boxes that I ripped apart when I removed the top box. The comb was filled with huge larvae which I suspect were drones. Oops. Anyway, I don't really want weirdo burr comb in between my boxes, so all's well that ends well, except for those poor drone larvae.
 I asked Bubbles to take some photos of the frames, which she did, kind of. Carlos got attacked by hornets while we were hiking in Harriman state park and now both of them are not too psyched on stingy things. For some reason I can't upload a photo from my iPad so I will try to figure that out and get some of Bubbles' long distance pictures on here. I added a third box today and a pollen gate. The pollen gate allows me to harvest some pollen to feed CKTF, who suffers from miserable allergies.
 All in all, things are looking pretty good in the hive.

The white stuff is capped honey, ready to be eaten!

No comments: